We are the ultimate answer to your damaged or broken garage door and related needs here in the Louisville area. A garage door is one of the most basic, yet most important requirements of your everyday life. When you get ready for your office and open the door to your garage with just a flick of your garage gate opener remote, you never realize what an essential tool it is. However, when something goes wrong with your garage gate opener and you have no option of getting to your car, and you are getting late to your office, you realize how important it is to your daily life. Thus, when your overhead door begins to malfunction, it is important that you perform the garage door repair at the soonest.
Garage Door Repair - 5 Simple Things to Check
Garage door repair may often be done by the homeowner themselves. There are at least 5 simple things to check, before calling a professional. Some repairs are extremely easy. For example, a stiff or a squeaky door will merely require a good cleaning and lubrication. Other repairs, such as repairing a torsion spring, are extremely dangerous and require help from a professional.
Before proceeding to the repair, make sure to unplug your garage door opener, so that you do not get an electric shock while you are repairing your garage door. You will most likely be standing on a ladder, which is a very bad place to get an electric shock, since you may also fall off the ladder. Also, remember to wear safety glasses when working with power tools.
Here is a list of things to check before calling for a professional for your garage door repair:
1. Check the Metal Tracks for Damages
This easy garage door repair tip may often solve the problem very fast. The metal tracks often may have dents or bumps. If you find any such damages, strike the damaged part of the track with a wood block and a hammer to straighten the track.
2. Check the Alignment of the Tracks
If the tracks are not aligned well, they may be causing the door not to work. It's not always necessary to unscrew the tracks; you can just try to loosen the bolts or screws and to tap the tracks slightly into position. Use a level to check the alignment of the tracks. Aligned tracks will let you be done with your garage door repair in no time.
3. Clean and Dry the Tracks
Even though it may sound obvious, but hardened dirt and old lubricant may be the cause of the garage door sticking. In this case, your garage door repair may consist of merely cleaning the tracks and then drying them. You can use regular cleaners to clean the tracks.
4. Lubricate the Tracks and the Rollers
Merely lubricating both, the tracks and the rollers, can fix the problem and conclude your garage door repair in no time. For lubrication, you may use a lubricant spray or a silicon spray. It is probably better to lubricate the tracks after cleaning them. Actually, any movable part will benefit from lubrication.
5. Tightening the Loose Bolts and Screws
Bolts and screws tend to become loose with time. Try to check all of the screws and bolts involved in the opening/closing mechanism of your door. Sometimes, merely tightening them may solve the whole problem. If you cannot tighten the screws, because the holes themselves have become loose, then you can use a "wood filler" or pieces of normal wood to fill the holes.
What Not to Do?
If you have tried every one of the above solutions, and none of them have worked, the problem may be the door spring. However, it is advised not to perform your garage door repair if the problem seems to be the spring, especially if it's a torsion spring. Unfortunately, there have been numerous cases, where people have gotten injured or even killed by the garage door springs. One of the most common injuries is a hit in the head, resulting in serious trauma to the brain.
If you have doubts in your garage repair, by no means should you attempt it. It generally will not cost too much. However, a professional will save you from any injuries.
Choosing a Garage Door Repair Service
Everyone feels proud whenever they are able to do something that professionals do. This is why DIY projects have become so popular with homeowners. Most people feel that by doing repairs by themselves, they learn more about how certain contraptions work, and at the same time save money. However, there may be instances wherein you have to go and seek professional help - with garage door repair being one of these things. Here are some reasons why:
· Garage doors are big and heavy. Normal maintenance of your doors like oiling and dusting hard to reach corners are easy tasks you can do on your own, but if you are new when it comes to repairs, the degree of work needed for part replacements may be too much for you to handle on your own. These doors weigh a lot and can hurt you if you're not too careful. Many people have had fingers caught in the hinges or a foot stuck in their doors while doing repairs. While cuts and bruises might seem like small things, having a garage door suddenly falling on you isn't.
· Professional services actually save you more money. The reason why most people love DIY work is because they can save money that they normally use to pay technicians and repairmen. However, ask any experienced repairman and they'll tell you most calls that they get are from people who attempted to fix things on their own but unwittingly made matters worse. A simple part replacement can turn into something graver when an inexperienced hand does the work. If you don't know what's wrong with them after you perform simple inspections, then let a professional eye give it a whirl. Also, most DIY repairs are temporary and only aims to fix the problem immediately. However, this also lessens the lifespan of the doors in your garage in general because it doesn't address the cause of the problem in the first place.
· It's more secure. Having your doors suddenly jam at the most inconvenient of times might tempt you into doing the job yourself, but make sure it doesn't compromise your security. These are great entryways for intruders, especially if the doors are broken. Boarding up your doors in the meantime, or using temporary repair measures may make your home a great target for burglars.
The good thing about professional garage door repair services is that one is never too far away. If you're ever in need of professional garage door repair a simple search on the internet or on the yellow pages can give you the start you need.