We are the ultimate answer to your damaged or broken garage door and related needs here in the Liverpool Township area. A garage door is one of the most basic, yet most important requirements of your everyday life. When you get ready for your office and open the door to your garage with just a flick of your garage gate opener remote, you never realize what an essential tool it is. However, when something goes wrong with your garage gate opener and you have no option of getting to your car, and you are getting late to your office, you realize how important it is to your daily life. Thus, when your overhead door begins to malfunction, it is important that you perform the garage door repair at the soonest.
Garage Door Repair Troubleshooting Tips
Garage door repair may often be done by the homeowner themselves. There are at least 5 simple things to check, before calling a professional. Some repairs are extremely easy. For example, a stiff or a squeaky door will merely require a good cleaning and lubrication. Other repairs, such as repairing a torsion spring, are extremely dangerous and require help from a professional.
Before proceeding to the repair, make sure to unplug your garage door opener, so that you do not get an electric shock while you are repairing your garage door. You will most likely be standing on a ladder, which is a very bad place to get an electric shock, since you may also fall off the ladder. Also, remember to wear safety glasses when working with power tools.
Here is a list of things to check before calling for a professional for your garage door repair:
1. Check the Metal Tracks for Damages
This easy garage door repair tip may often solve the problem very fast. The metal tracks often may have dents or bumps. If you find any such damages, strike the damaged part of the track with a wood block and a hammer to straighten the track.
2. Check the Alignment of the Tracks
If the tracks are not aligned well, they may be causing the door not to work. It's not always necessary to unscrew the tracks; you can just try to loosen the bolts or screws and to tap the tracks slightly into position. Use a level to check the alignment of the tracks. Aligned tracks will let you be done with your garage door repair in no time.
3. Clean and Dry the Tracks
Even though it may sound obvious, but hardened dirt and old lubricant may be the cause of the garage door sticking. In this case, your garage door repair may consist of merely cleaning the tracks and then drying them. You can use regular cleaners to clean the tracks.
4. Lubricate the Tracks and the Rollers
Merely lubricating both, the tracks and the rollers, can fix the problem and conclude your garage door repair in no time. For lubrication, you may use a lubricant spray or a silicon spray. It is probably better to lubricate the tracks after cleaning them. Actually, any movable part will benefit from lubrication.
5. Tightening the Loose Bolts and Screws
Bolts and screws tend to become loose with time. Try to check all of the screws and bolts involved in the opening/closing mechanism of your door. Sometimes, merely tightening them may solve the whole problem. If you cannot tighten the screws, because the holes themselves have become loose, then you can use a "wood filler" or pieces of normal wood to fill the holes.
What Not to Do?
If you have tried every one of the above solutions, and none of them have worked, the problem may be the door spring. However, it is advised not to perform your garage door repair if the problem seems to be the spring, especially if it's a torsion spring. Unfortunately, there have been numerous cases, where people have gotten injured or even killed by the garage door springs. One of the most common injuries is a hit in the head, resulting in serious trauma to the brain.
If you have doubts in your garage repair, by no means should you attempt it. It generally will not cost too much. However, a professional will save you from any injuries.
Garage Door Repair: Why You Should Hire a Professional to Repair Your Garage Door
While prices of goods in the market don't rise and fall dramatically, the same cannot be said for services. It is difficult to budget services fees, especially when it comes to repair services, because the expense depends on the severity of the problem and the company you choose in the end. For someone who doesn't know much about repair, estimating the average price would be difficult to the point where you can't tell if something is indeed overpriced. So what are the average costs of services related to garage door repair? Here's a guide to help you out.
· Labor charges - No matter what is wrong with your garage door, you have to pay labor charges to the technician. Depending on the company you choose in the end, labor will usually cost you around 60-70 dollars per hour. Part replacements don't take a lot of time so the most a technician will spend in your garage would be up to an hour and a half or so. However, if you feel like being vigilant, you can supervise the technician to see if he works efficiently or if he's dragging things out for too long.
· Parts replacement - Sometimes when the doors to your garage break, a simple patchwork job is not enough. Sometimes, you need to replace certain parts like torsion springs, tracks, and hinges. Some companies make use of their own materials and this can both be a good thing and a bad thing. Most reputable companies will offer the best and most durable materials, but they will always mark up the price. Another option would be to ask the technician for a list of parts that you'll need for the repair and get them from your local hardware store. Although this can save you more money, if you don't know much about door parts, you might end up buying parts that are not durable.
· Garage door replacement - Replacing the whole door is very expensive, and the cost varies from 500-1500 dollars,depending on where you live and how large your garage is. As with parts replacement, you can collaborate with the technician when it comes to choosing the materials for the garage door, especially if you're on a budget. However, your technician will caution you on some of your decisions when quality of the door is compromised.