We are the ultimate answer to your damaged or broken garage door and related needs here in the Chatham Township area. A garage door is one of the most basic, yet most important requirements of your everyday life. When you get ready for your office and open the door to your garage with just a flick of your garage gate opener remote, you never realize what an essential tool it is. However, when something goes wrong with your garage gate opener and you have no option of getting to your car, and you are getting late to your office, you realize how important it is to your daily life. Thus, when your overhead door begins to malfunction, it is important that you perform the garage door repair at the soonest.
Garage Door Repair: Why You Should Hire a Professional to Repair Your Garage Door
While prices of goods in the market don't rise and fall dramatically, the same cannot be said for services. It is difficult to budget services fees, especially when it comes to repair services, because the expense depends on the severity of the problem and the company you choose in the end. For someone who doesn't know much about repair, estimating the average price would be difficult to the point where you can't tell if something is indeed overpriced. So what are the average costs of services related to garage door repair? Here's a guide to help you out.
· Labor charges - No matter what is wrong with your garage door, you have to pay labor charges to the technician. Depending on the company you choose in the end, labor will usually cost you around 60-70 dollars per hour. Part replacements don't take a lot of time so the most a technician will spend in your garage would be up to an hour and a half or so. However, if you feel like being vigilant, you can supervise the technician to see if he works efficiently or if he's dragging things out for too long.
· Parts replacement - Sometimes when the doors to your garage break, a simple patchwork job is not enough. Sometimes, you need to replace certain parts like torsion springs, tracks, and hinges. Some companies make use of their own materials and this can both be a good thing and a bad thing. Most reputable companies will offer the best and most durable materials, but they will always mark up the price. Another option would be to ask the technician for a list of parts that you'll need for the repair and get them from your local hardware store. Although this can save you more money, if you don't know much about door parts, you might end up buying parts that are not durable.
· Garage door replacement - Replacing the whole door is very expensive, and the cost varies from 500-1500 dollars,depending on where you live and how large your garage is. As with parts replacement, you can collaborate with the technician when it comes to choosing the materials for the garage door, especially if you're on a budget. However, your technician will caution you on some of your decisions when quality of the door is compromised.
Garage Door Repair - Important Things to Consider
Everyone feels proud whenever they are able to do something that professionals do. This is why DIY projects have become so popular with homeowners. Most people feel that by doing repairs by themselves, they learn more about how certain contraptions work, and at the same time save money. However, there may be instances wherein you have to go and seek professional help - with garage door repair being one of these things. Here are some reasons why:
· Garage doors are big and heavy. Normal maintenance of your doors like oiling and dusting hard to reach corners are easy tasks you can do on your own, but if you are new when it comes to repairs, the degree of work needed for part replacements may be too much for you to handle on your own. These doors weigh a lot and can hurt you if you're not too careful. Many people have had fingers caught in the hinges or a foot stuck in their doors while doing repairs. While cuts and bruises might seem like small things, having a garage door suddenly falling on you isn't.
· Professional services actually save you more money. The reason why most people love DIY work is because they can save money that they normally use to pay technicians and repairmen. However, ask any experienced repairman and they'll tell you most calls that they get are from people who attempted to fix things on their own but unwittingly made matters worse. A simple part replacement can turn into something graver when an inexperienced hand does the work. If you don't know what's wrong with them after you perform simple inspections, then let a professional eye give it a whirl. Also, most DIY repairs are temporary and only aims to fix the problem immediately. However, this also lessens the lifespan of the doors in your garage in general because it doesn't address the cause of the problem in the first place.
· It's more secure. Having your doors suddenly jam at the most inconvenient of times might tempt you into doing the job yourself, but make sure it doesn't compromise your security. These are great entryways for intruders, especially if the doors are broken. Boarding up your doors in the meantime, or using temporary repair measures may make your home a great target for burglars.
The good thing about professional garage door repair services is that one is never too far away. If you're ever in need of professional garage door repair a simple search on the internet or on the yellow pages can give you the start you need.